Monday, February 9, 2009

Judgement or Judgment

Grammar Lesson of the Day:

So I going over the weekly reading for school. We were going over some basic grammar skills. The lesson was talking about adding suffixes to a word and when to keep or drop the -e. They had a list of exceptions and "judgment" was one. I thought surely it was spelled wrong, so I looked it up and sure enough. I called both my parents and asked them how they spell it. They also added an -e. Seriously, I am just curious how many people actually knew that it is "judgment" and not "judgement"! I am still in disbelief and not totally willing to accept the fact that I have been spelling it wrong my whole life!

2 comments:

Marlene said...

I can't imagine learning English as a second language. We have so many stupid exceptions to the rules, who can keep them all straight? I've always spelled it---judgment.

Natalie said...

I know exactly what you mean! I learn new things every day that are against everything I learned as a child. Like "Daddy Long Legs are the most poisonous spider but it's mouth is too small to bite you."
My current favorite, "Rusted Nails cause Tetanus...why everyone should get a Tetanus Booster every 9yrs" This is not true anything that pokes it's way inside you(even a brand new nail) could have the bacteria that causes Tetanus!!!