Thursday, April 10, 2014

Paris holds the key to MY heart!

I've been dreaming of going back to Paris ever since we left the first time back in 2011. I was especially excited for Nathan to see it, even though I need deep down he would probably hate it because he's such a typical man! It's like liking Paris lessons their manliness or something! We flew there bright and early on the morning of March 30. We got to the airport and had a lovely time walking across the entire concrete monstrosity with our incredibly heavy backpacks finding the train that takes you into Paris. Really, it wasn't too awful!

Once we got to Paris, we managed to get super confused on the metro somehow and got really grumpy wondering around the undergound and then above ground because we got lost there too and couldn't find out hotel. Anyway, we found the hotel and just dropped off bags off and then wandered around Paris for several hours.

First we headed out of the hotel, which was right down the road from the Place de la Concord, and walked over there. Then we walked along the Seine until it brought us near Notre Dame. That cathedral...no words. It leaves me in amazement every time! I was actually surprised how covered in tourists it was already. I thought that it only being March, it would still be somewhat dead in Paris. I was obviously very wrong!
Our first glimpse of France after crossing over from the UK!

From the tower we started walking and figured we go check out the Arch! Nathan really wanted to see it. On our walk, we saw a bicycle taxi thingy and thought, "what the heck!" So we hopped on and the guy brought us over to Champs Elysee. I swear, he didn't even break a sweat pulling us over there. It was quite impressive and sooooo fun!

After the Arch, which was under construction so we decided not to go up in to it either, we headed back to the hotel to check-in. First though when we walked into our room: OMG! Most amazing room I have ever stayed in! Within a few hours, I received a text from my mom saying she was taking Quincy to urgent care because he split his head open and had to get stitches. I felt just awful! Nathan felt awful too! In fact, he was so worried that he fell asleep for like 3 hours! Ha ha ha! Luckily, everything with my baby Q turned out just fine and he only needed 4 stitches. I think Grandma and mom were more traumatized by the event that he was.
After Notre Dame, we hopped on the metro, which brought back tons of memories from riding around with my little brother a few years ago on it, went the wrong direction, got off, got back on and went back the right direction, and managed to get to the Eiffel Tower. I swear I could stare at the sucker all day long! Amazing! We ended up not going to the top because, once again, there were just too many people and we didn't have time to wait in line!
Anyway, when the evening hit, we decided to go get some grub, so we left the hotel and wandered around Paris for like EVER because neither of us could decide on what we wanted to eat! We ended up at a little Portuguese restaurant of all places. Nathan's food was great; my food was just meh! After pigging out on dessert, we rolled our way back to the hotel and fell asleep! The next morning we woke up later than we had wanted to, surprise, so we were unable to go see the few others things we were hoping to see! We ate breakfast at the buffet in the hotel. And don't let the word "buffet" fool you! This was the fanciest breakfast I have ever seen, as well as the most expensive. Don't worry, we didn't have to pay for it, of course! After breakfast we headed over to the airport to pick up the rental car. We got miserably lost in the metro station, again, and then mid way on our way to the airport, I realized we were on the wrong track, so we had to jump off and hop on another train! Luckily it worked out pretty well. Once at the airport, of course we couldn't figure out where the heck the car rental place was. All the signs said it was in one terminal, but when I finally checked my email it stated the Hertz was in another terminal! After seriously like 4 hours, we got to the rental desk and picked up our ride. We hopped in and headed straight out of the city towards the Dday landing beaches in Normandy! Surprisingly, we didn't get lost once on our drive out of Paris! Weird!

No comments: